The Communications Director oversees the external communications strategies for the Empire State Pride Agenda, Inc. and the Empire State Pride Agenda Foundation (both referred to hereafter as the “Pride Agenda”). Responsible for the development and implementation of marketing and communications strategies consistent with Pride Agenda goals, the Communications Director should also have a strong understanding of government, New York State politics, LGBT issues nationally and locally, and public policy.
The Communications Director is responsible for a comprehensive strategy to build momentum and widespread support for, and increase understanding of, the Pride Agenda’s priorities. Our current priorities include ending discrimination against transgender New Yorkers statewide, passing legislation to ban conversion therapy for LGBT minors, funding for adequate health and human services for LGBT New Yorkers and increasing the options through which LGBT couples can create their families.
The Communications Director is also responsible for creating effective messaging to communicate the organization’s strategic priorities to our base of supporters, both current and prospective. In addition to formal communications strategy and implementation, the Pride Agenda needs someone who can update the website, format and deploy emails to the organization’s base and craft social media content regularly. Finally, as part of the implementation of the strategic plan, the Communications Director will ensure that our message reaches wider, diverse audiences using new vehicles for communications.
The Communications Director is a member of the Pride Agenda’s senior management team, which is responsible for shaping the overall programs, policies and goals of the organization. The Communications Director reports to the Executive Director.
Communications Director Empire State Pride Agenda Foundation
- Designs communications plans and programs that leverage the Pride Agenda’s image, brand, message, mission, priorities and accomplishments to achieve the organization’s goals, using the latest new media and traditional media formats.
- Provides input and guidance and is directly involved, where necessary, in areas and activities (i.e., publications, the website, collateral, program and fundraising events) that communicate the organization’s image, message, mission, priorities and accomplishments.
- Directly responsible for planning and executing the Pride Agenda’s advertising, media and messaging activities, which includes:
- Writing and promoting press releases, letters, editorials, opinion pieces and articles;
- Maintaining and building new relationships with key political and LGBT reporters across New York State (and the country, where applicable) with the objective of maximizing visibility for the Pride Agenda in key media environments and with target audiences in order to influence and move opinion on the organization’s key priorities. This includes building reporter interest in Pride Agenda issues and serving as a source of information, interpretation and analysis, as well as proactively identifying national developments that can be leveraged for press coverage for the Pride Agenda;
- Maintaining and building new relationships with newspaper editorial boards across New York State to advocate in support of Pride Agenda issues;
- Using traditional media formats (i.e., print, television, radio, outdoor, direct mail) and social media to communicate the Pride Agenda’s positions and initiatives in an efficient and effective manner;
- Utilize the digital communications system (Sphere) to send Action Alerts, email messages and advocacy modules to our database of supporters. Develop new strategies for utilizing the system including targeted emails, e-cards, dynamic content, etc.
- Overseeing and guiding strategic use of all web-based communications tools, including: organizational website (prideagenda.org), email blast/action alert and other e-advocacy systems, and new and social media platforms with which to communicate with our supporters in real time;
- Managing and negotiating the Pride Agenda’s relationship with media sponsors;
- Managing and negotiating advertising initiatives;
- Supplementing the Executive Director as public spokesperson, when needed, for the Pride Agenda and providing media training and advice to other staff and Board members;
- Promoting and marketing Pride Agenda events, including fundraising events which occur throughout the year and in many parts of New York State;
- Preparing talking points, speeches and statements on an as-needed basis to senior staff and Board members;
- Overseeing concept development and production of all Pride Agenda videos;
- Monitoring media on a consistent basis for issues of importance and identifying trends in coverage.
- Assesses and evaluates overall communications program as well as specific initiatives to determine effectiveness; implements changes when required.
- Works with Communications Directors of ally/partner organizations to inform the Pride Agenda’s messaging and fulfill strategic objectives and campaign goals as needed.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the executive director.
- B.A. degree or higher, preferably in a communications, political science or related field.
- Three to five years of demonstrated success in the communications or marketing field or in a comparable environment that draws upon skills related to the Pride Agenda’s work and objectives.
- Strong commitment to and competency in LGBT issues and transgender equality and justice.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- A demonstrated commitment and competency with issues impacting transgender and gender non-conforming New Yorkers.
- Strong strategic thinker.
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute actionable plans that accomplish organizational objectives.
- Knowledge of legislative advocacy, the electoral process and public policy issues.
- Knowledge of and cultural competency in LGBT issues.
- Commitment to the LGBT community and broader social change movements.
- Ability to sustain multiple projects and work under pressure.
- Graphic and web design, video production skills A+
The Pride Agenda is an Equal Opportunity employer. Women, people of color and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com or mail to Communications Director Search, Empire State Pride Agenda, 80 Maiden Lane, Suite 905, New York, NY 10038. No phone calls please.
The Empire State Pride Agenda is New York’s statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights and advocacy group. Our mission is to win equality and justice for LGBT New Yorkers and our families. Through our education, organizing and advocacy programs, we work toward creating a broadly diverse alliance of LGBT people and our allies in government, communities of faith, labor, all sectors of the workforce and other social justice movements to achieve equality for LGBT New Yorkers and the broader goals of social, racial and economic justice.