GRIOT Circle, Inc – Brooklyn, NY
GRIOT Circle is an intergenerational, community based, LGBTQ people of color elders’ organization founded in 1996. Our goal is to provide a welcoming space for members and their friends by providing services and programming that affirm their age, race, gender and spiritual origins. GRIOT Circle is committed to honoring and preserving the rich histories and traditions of our members and reuniting the parts of each that has been fragmented by racism, homophobia and ageism.
GRIOT Circle recently entered into a formal partnership with SAGE (Services & Advocacy for GLBT Elders). SAGEis the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBT older adults.
SAGE was recently awarded funding by the New York City Council to bring its Innovative Senior Center (ISC) model for LGBT older adults to Brooklyn and the other boroughs. The ISC theory of change is founded on a whole-person model of wellness and seeks to provide specific interventions to enhance outcomes based on the needs of the specific communities and/or individuals involved. SAGE -GRIOT Circle is now recruiting a Program Coordinator who will assist with implementing the ISC model. The position is full time and reports to the Site Manager for the SAGE-GRIOT ISC Partnership.
Program Coordinator GRIOT Circle
The Program Coordinator will enhance the wellness of LGBT older adults by providing innovative interventions with measurable outcomes. S/he will coordinate programs,secure instructors and volunteer teachers. The Program Coordinator will engage in outreach to the older adult LGBT community to cultivate attendance at all programs and activities.Working under the direction of the Site Manager, the Program Coordinator will ensure SAGE – GRIOT Circle meets specific contract deliverables as defined by New York City’s Department for the Aging (DFTA) per the SAGE-GRIOT Circle Partnership.S/he will be accountable for data collection on service delivery and will collaborate with other SAGE-GRIOT personnel to facilitate DFTA reporting.
- Help create and provide innovative and culturally sensitive programming for LGBT older adults
- Coordinating space usage at GRIOT Circle and Brooklyn Community Pride Center
- Coordinate with Site Manager
to implement daily curriculum and activities
- Assist with outreach, particularly in Brooklyn
- Work with Site Manager and Administrative Assistant to ensure collection of client and service unit statistics and entry into data-base
- Complete all administrative paperwork and assist in DFTA reporting process
- Interact with senior clients during programming
- Assist with setup and closing of each daily programs
- BA in social work, public administration or related field with at least two years of professional experience; substantial relevant work experience (5+ years) may be substituted for degree
- Computer proficient
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced atmosphere
- Flexible and dependable – This position requires some flexibility around scheduling. Some evening and weekend hours required.
Strongly Desired Qualifications
- Substantive work experience in the field of aging and/or service provision to people of color and/or LGBT constituencies
- Knowledge of history and issues facing LGBTQ people of color elders
- Cultural competency with diverse groups of LGBTQ elders
Job Location: Brooklyn
Compensation: Salary 37,000 after 3 months 40,000.
EOE Employer: We are an equal opportunity – affirmative action employers.We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, HIV serostatus, sexual orientation, veteran status, height, weight or disability. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Aundaray GuessAundaray@griotcircle.org. No phone calls please. Applications with no cover letter will not be considered