Dolores Street Community Services – San Francisco, CA
The Director of Housing and Shelter Programs is a new position in the organization that will supervise and oversee our current programs in this area (with the possibility of expansion to more programs in the future). Our housing and shelter work is diverse, and the respective program managers oversee a variety of work areas including supportive services, facilities and property management, asset management, budget and contract management, managing collaborations and partnerships, community building, and community organizing. We currently own three housing sites, two of which are operational and one that will be leased from us and put into operation by another organization later this year.
Current programs and sites include: the Dolores Shelter Program, providing emergency shelter to approximately 85 homeless adults nightly; the Richard M. Cohen Residence, a 10-unit licensed Residential Care Facility serving formerly homeless adults with disabling HIV/AIDS; Casa Quezada, a 52 unit residential hotel serving formerly homeless adults with disabilities; Marty’s Place, a 9-resident co-op that will be put into operation later this year; and the Mission SRO Collaborative, a partnership with other community organizations that provides outreach, education, and leadership development programming in the neighborhood’s approximately 50 privately owned Single Room Occupancy hotels.
The successful applicant for this position will be comfortable handling a variety of tasks and overseeing a broad diversity of work areas—a self-directed, community-spirited individual with extensive experience in program management, budget development and monitoring, program development, and staff supervision, and ideally someone familiar with the operations and requirements of affordable housing programs.
We are seeking someone who can jump in and hit the ground running, with an immediate focus on working with staff to prepare for the opening of a new 24-bed LGBT-focused shelter, as well as supporting staff transitions at the Cohen Residence.
Director of Housing and Shelter Programs
Duties and Responsibilities
- Hire, train, and supervise the Program Managers of each program area, including conducting annual performance evaluations, ensuring training needs and requirements are met, and recommending personnel actions as appropriate
- Provide oversight and troubleshooting for the major program areas including supportive services, facilities and property management, asset management, budget and contract management, and managing collaborations and partnerships; and support Program Development in these areas
- Work with Program Managers and finance staff to develop and monitor contracts and budgets
Develop relationships with City and other funders; act as a liaison between program and funders
Fulfill basic Program Manager duties when a position is vacant
- Support staff in ensuring program policies and procedures are up-to-date
- Ensure all contract reporting requirements are met
- Work with staff to ensure compliance with all funding and legal requirements
- Attend periodic program staff meetings to provide oversight and support as needed
- Attend meetings in the community, at City Hall, with City Departments, and others related to housing and shelter programs
- Perform other duties as assigned
Other Organizational Duties
- Serve on Dolores Street’s Senior Management and Coordination Teams
- Attend periodic meetings of the Housing and Land Use Committee of the Board of Directors to provide input on and set direction for the agency’s housing-related work
- Participate in planning, budgeting, policy setting, and new program development for Dolores Street Community Services
- Represent housing and shelter programs in fundraising efforts, including events and individual donor correspondence, as well as helping gather program data for foundation proposals
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience Desired
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in related field (i.e. Social Work, Public Administration, etc…)
- Five years experience in a management position in housing or human services
- Self-directed person who is able to work independently and manage time effectively
- Strong budgeting, expense monitoring, and contract development skills
- Ability to recruit, employ, train, supervise, and evaluate qualified staff; develop and foster teamwork; and take personnel actions
- Ability to communicate effectively and maintain positive working relationships with staff and program participants
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience managing partnerships & collaborations
- Criminal background clearance, health screening & T.B. test required prior to employment (to meet requirements of licensed care facility)
Dolores Street Community Services (DSCS) nurtures individual wellness and cultivates collective power among low-income and immigrant communities to create a more just society. A multi-issue, multi-strategy organization based in San Francisco’s Mission District, we work to improve lives on an individual level as well as affect broader change by engaging in advocacy and community organizing. Our programs address a range of issues from homelessness to affordable housing to immigrant rights and services.