Howard Brown Health Center – Chicago, IL
Performs various aspects of laboratory services for all Howard Brown Health Center clients, patients, and research participants, including specimen handling and preparation. Processes and handles human blood, urine and stool specimens. Some phlebotomy duties as necessary.
Laboratory Technician Howard Brown Health Center
- Perform/complete processing of specimens from daily clinic primary care schedule for delivery to Howard Brown contract laboratories: process orders for contracted laboratories, ensure proper handling, temperature, and delivery; maintain specimen integrity and order accuracy. Prepare specimens for shipment to external laboratories ensuring that specimens are ready and picked up by courier in accordance with designated courier schedule.
- Perform onsite, rapid HIV testing as part of the Walk-In/STI Services Program; maintain all logs and pickup schedules for specimens going to the IL State Lab and the Chicago Department of Public Health Laboratory. Maintain specimen integrity and accuracy.
- Attend to phone calls, phone notes and chart flags for lab result critical values and abnormal results. Forward them to the appropriate clinical staff in a timely manner. Monitor test results and ensure proper resulting to patient charts.
- Maintain designated training manual for client services and specific research laboratory procedures. Complete ongoing training with procedures and protocols.
- Work with specific research project coordinators on designated research projects to ensure appropriate laboratory processing as dictated by research protocols. Ensure that specimens are processed in accordance with clinical research protocols. Maintain updated IATA shipping certification.
- Maintain and upkeep all laboratory equipment according to Howard Brown standards.
- Carry out policies and procedures developed to maintain infection control and safety according to OSHA Laboratory Safety Guidance and Blood Borne Pathogen Standards protocols; perform duties according to approved policies and procedures relating to OSHA and Universal Body Fluid precautions.
- Work with the Laboratory Services Coordinator to maintain the laboratory and its operations in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Work with clinical staff to improve procedures/flow for patient requiring laboratory testing; work with contract laboratories to maintain updated information on test offerings.
- Maintain levels of laboratory supplies as needed.
- Attend medical services and research meetings as required.
- Attend training and continuing education as required or requested.
- Communicate effectively with all team members/all staff.
- Performs other duties as directed.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High School Diploma and professional training in clinical laboratory/healthcare setting is required.
- Phlebotomy license is required.
- Must be comfortable working with the LGBT community
- Medical Assistant license is preferred
- Previous experience working with HIV/AIDS clients
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with laboratory regulatory rules and guidelines including OSHA, HIPAA, and JCAHO, and familiarity with CLIA laboratory environments are preferred.
- Space is limited and must be shared for most efficient usage.
- Healthcare environment subject to high stress and a fast-pace.
- Primary work environment is a laboratory and is subject to OSHA Laboratory Safety Guidance and Blood Borne Pathogen Standards.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Duties may include bending, standing, light lifting, carrying, and sitting for long periods.
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
- Requires good manual dexterity and the ability to communicate effectively with others, including verbal and visual skills.
To apply for this position, please submit both your cover letter and resume together as one document into our ADP system using the link below.
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
HOWARD BROWN HEALTH CENTER is an innovative health and human service organization focusing on the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. The Center provides a unique network of programs and services to the community, addressing the medical, social and research needs of its clients. To learn more about our Howard Brown Health Center, please see our web page at www.howardbrown.org.