AGLCC – Austin, TX
The Austin Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce is seeking a full time salaried President to support the Board of Directors and promote the organization and its mission. The AGLCC is a dynamic and growing LGBT chamber that is dedicated to promoting its members and strengthening its community through advocacy, education and partnerships. This position will require a dynamic individual who is equally comfortable in front of a camera talking to the media as well as working behind the scenes to promote the organization and its members.
President Austin Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
President Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead ongoing efforts and initiatives to increase AGLCC membership and sponsorship as well as facilitate membership engagement.
- Maintain and grow corporate relations and work to support and advance the LGBT and allied business community.
- Responsible for engaging with the City of Austin and ensuring our satisfactory fulfillment of our obligations to AGLCC’s contract with them as well as looking for opportunities to increase the funding received from the City.
- Responsible for reporting to the Board of Directors on the management of all operating and budget activities, including working closely with the Treasurer to develop a budget and ensuring that actual results are in accordance with the budget.
- Provide leadership and value-added support to the various AGLCC committees.
- Ensure the ongoing development of the Board of Directors and a pipeline of board members and officers.
- Proactively make recommendations to the Board of Directors for creation of innovative programs/events. Maintain continuity and consistency in existing programming/events.
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with all AGLCC members, business partners and the business community. Represent the AGLCC at public community events and meetings.
- Acquire an understanding of national, state, municipal and corporate supplier diversity programs as well as the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce [NGLCC] LGBT certification program. Responsible for assisting and educating member businesses in the LGBT certification process.
- Conduct periodic assessments of various AGLCC processes and assist with implementing improved technologies and systems that will facilitate operational efficiencies.
- Responsible for overseeing all human resource functions for the AGLCC, including the overall direction for the recruitment, hiring, development, and retention of high-quality professional and administrative staff.
- Use integrated marketing and communications solutions [i.e., e-technologies, social media, website. etc.] to enhance and to advance the AGLCC’s visibility. Constantly strive to develop a better public understanding of the purpose, mission, and functions of the organization.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience is required
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in business operations and/or non-profit management.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in demonstrated leadership positions, including organizational/staff management, financial management and/or Board relations.
Organizational Management Skills:
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating and task facilitation. Managing multiple tasks/projects simultaneously, time management and meeting deadlines is an essential skill requirement for this position.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to oversee, coach/develop staff and manage a budget.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and skills to collaborate with and motivate board members, committee members and other volunteers.
- Significant experience in leading strategic business or membership development initiatives. Critical thinking and analytical skills required.
- Must exhibit an ability to work independently, exercising a resourcefulness and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to work/interface with and effectively communicate with diverse individuals and businesses within the AGLCC membership and the LGBT business community.
- Demonstrated interest in the advancement of the LGBT business community and in building key partnerships with community leaders, corporate representatives and the NGLCC.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of the various stakeholders in the local LGBT community.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required, including creative writing, editing, business correspondence, listening, presentation and public speaking skills.
- Ability to convey a vision of the AGLCC’s strategic future to staff, Board, members, volunteers and the business community.
- Demonstrated experience in communications and integrated marketing, including website content, management, email marketing and social media.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office tools Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Proficiency in the use of QuickBooks.
- Proficiency working with computers, Content Management Systems and membership databases.
- The President will usually work in an office environment, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces.
- The President is a non-exempt salaried position that will require evenings/weekends to accommodate activities such as AGLCC programs and events, Board Meetings and representing the AGLCC at LGBT community and public events.
- Minimal out of town travel is required as the President is expected to attend the NGLCC Annual Business and Leadership Conference in July/August.
For consideration, interested applicants should submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Current resume/CV
- Link to LinkedIn profile
- A separate statement (250 words max) that answers the following question: Why are LGBT chambers of commerce needed today and how would you seek to grow a chamber as a President?
Submissions should be made electronically in a single PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org or via first class mail to:
AGLCC – Search Committee
PO Box 49216
Austin, TX 78765
Applications will be accepted through (if mailed then postmark date) Wednesday, October 28, 2015. Finalist candidates should be prepared to submit three work (3) references (with current contact information), including past direct supervisor(s). No phone calls will be accepted about the position.
The AGLCC is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.