The San Francisco LGBT Community Center – San Francisco, CA
The San Francisco LGBT Community Center’s Small Business Services Program is responsible for providing a full range of business assistance services to help clients start, run, and grow their businesses. The Small Business Services Specialist is part of an economic development team of professionals who provide the LGBT and allied community with an array of services to help increase the financial security of individuals, families, businesses and communities. By using a holistic approach to providing direct services, clients are able to access more supports to help them achieve self-efficacy and empowerment. This position will work closely with other programs in the Economic Development Department including employment, financial and transgender employment services.
Any candidate with qualifications and experience significantly beyond this job description may be considered for the position of Manager of Small Business Services, an exempt position, during the hiring process. The Manager of Small Business Services has additional job functions, including conducting loan counseling and packaging, and providing limited and ongoing, one-on-one counseling to address a full spectrum of business needs with an emphasis on business planning and strategy.
San Francisco Small Business Services Specialist
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Implement small business program activities including: conducting client intakes and facilitating referrals to partner organizations and other service providers; coordinating workshops on a variety of small business-related topics; matching entrepreneurs and business owners to high-quality mentors; working on short- and long-term projects designed to support LGBT-owned businesses and/or the economic vitality of the LGBT community.
- Coordinate Lending Circles, the Center’s group microloan program powered by Mission Asset Fund, including: conducting monthly orientations and formation meetings, coordinating program administration and partner relationship management
- Endorse clients for Kiva Zip microloan campaigns
Community Outreach and Relationship Management
- Perform outreach (event tabling, networking, etc.) to aspiring entrepreneurs, small business owners, and various community partners to increase awareness of the program and The Center in general.
- Research, write and develop program materials and resources, including referral resources, business tools and resources for program participants, outreach materials, and other program materials.
- Assist in development tasks including researching, soliciting, writing and submitting requests on behalf of the Small Business Services Program for grants and sponsorships.
- Support program evaluation efforts by fully and accurately documenting client services and collecting and entering client data related to program activities for grant purposes.
- Actively participate as a member of the Economic Development team and Management Team, including supporting other program activities, and general Center functions as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS:
- Experience in small business development, economic development and/or microfinance is required
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics or other related field preferred.
- Excellent quantitative, financial analysis, verbal and written skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and within a team-oriented organizational structure.
- Strong organizational and follow-through skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including word processing, excel, and database applications.
- Ability to adapt to changing environment and priorities.
- Must be able to work in a culturally diverse and fast-paced environment.
- Experience with LGBT community in a non-profit organization desirable, but not required.
- Requires flexibility in working evening and/or weekend hours.
The San Francisco LGBT Community Center:
The SF LGBT Center seeks to connect our diverse community to opportunities, resources and each other to achieve our vision of a stronger, healthier, and more equitable world for LGBT people and our allies.
The SF LGBT Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or inter-sex are encouraged to apply. The SF LGBT Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment. No aspect of employment will be influenced in any matter by race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, physical disability (including HIV or AIDS), medical condition, perceived physical disability or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by statute.
How to apply
Please email resume and cover letter to Human Resources:firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.