The San Francisco LGBT Community Center – San Francisco, CA – San Francisco Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Community Center
The Director of Communications is a key leadership position on the Center’s staff with core responsibility for strengthening and expanding the Center’s marketing and communication efforts to advance the agency’s mission and vision. This position was established to better demonstrate the deep impact the Center has on the community. It reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the senior management team and staff to develop short and long term communications, media and promotional strategies, manage media relations, videos and publications and create content for a broad range of media platforms.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop, maintain and evaluate the Center’s communications/marketing plan, oversee brand identity, voice and positioning and define key organizational messaging strategy to improve the organization’s visibility and advances its goals.
- Work across all departments to develop messages on LGBT community/movement issues and programmatic and strategic initiatives. Work with staff to ensure brand consistency across all marketing materials, set communications goals, learn best practices and new communication skills and track and report on success.
- Craft and execute proactive media outreach across all platforms including traditional, new media and social media. Execute rapid response for breaking news stories. Monitor incoming and external media across all platforms.
- Conduct all media relations (creating press advisories and releases, fielding reporter inquiries and managing press conferences). Develop and maintain relationships with bloggers, print, television and radio reporters, columnists, producers and editorial staff. Pitch and frame news stories. Brief, prepare and media train organization’s spokespeople.
- Serve as project manager, editor-in-chief and chief content developer for all major communications channels and publications including social media networks, mass email, annual report, brochures, videos, blogs and more. Oversee the organization’s website including writing content, managing aesthetic quality, information architecture, navigation and overall user experience.
- Align fundraising messages with organizational voice and maximize marketing initiatives to grow contributed income.
- Supervise contractors including graphic designers, printers and other freelancers. Supervise volunteers and interns.
- Contribute to the overall strategic leadership, management and direction of the Center. Partner with the executive director to achieve communications and marketing strategies and goals and interface with the Center’s board of directors on appropriate issues.
- Other duties as assigned
- At least five years experience in managing communications and/or marketing departments required. LGBT-related communications and marketing experience preferred.
- Exceptional writing, editing, verbal, interpersonal, presentation and analytical skills required.
- Extensive experience in working with new, social and traditional media.
- Proven ability to manage websites and organizational brand strategy and identity.
- Experience in media relations including relationship building, message development, and convincing reporters and producers to create stories. Experience in crisis communications strongly desired.
- Strong ability to navigate and work with the constantly changing technology of successful communications. Experience across all social media platforms, analytics software, communications databases and online email marketing tools. Experience in using data and research to tell stories highly desired.
- Experience managing consultants and mentoring staff. Supportive work style that motivates staff to deliver superior work, strong managerial and strategic planning skills.
- Strong organizational skills including budgeting, attention to detail, ability to work well under pressure and deadlines and a strong record of making good judgment calls about communication priorities and management of resources.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial approach, including solution oriented approaches to complex issues. Ability to learn and internalize new information, concepts and practices. Ability to think critically, analyze problems and contribute to agency leadership.
- Must have a strong commitment to Center’s mission and be able to work in a culturally diverse and fast-paced environment.
THE SF LGBT CENTER
The mission of the Center is to connect our diverse community to opportunities, resources and each other to achieve our vision of a stronger, healthier, and more equitable world for LGBT people and our allies. The Center’s strategies inspire and strengthen our community by:
• Fostering greater opportunities for people to thrive.
• Organizing for our future.
• Celebrating our history and culture.
• Building resources to create a legacy for future generations.
The SF LGBT Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or inter-sex are encouraged to apply. The SF LGBT Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment. No aspect of employment will be influenced in any matter by race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, physical disability (including HIV or AIDS), medical condition, perceived physical disability or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by statute.
How to apply
- Cover letter expressing your interest
- Resume detailing experience/qualifications
- Salary History
Submit to: SF LGBT Center
1800 Market Street
San Francisco CA 94102
Email: email@example.com Or fax to: (415) 865-5501
Please include: Director of Communications in subject line
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE