National Center for Lesbian Rights – San Francisco
The National Center for Lesbian Rights seeks a highly-skilled, enthusiastic, diligent, and motivated individual for a full-time legal assistant position in our San Francisco office. The legal assistant will work as a member of the legal staff, under close supervision of the attorneys and program staff.
San Francisco Legal Assistant NCLR
The legal assistant’s duties will include:
- Maintaining the litigation docket;
- Maintaining case files in paper and electronic form;
- Assisting with legal department hiring processes;
- Editing and formatting pleadings;
- Cite-checking briefs;
- Assisting with court filings, including compliance with court rules;
- Copying and scanning of documents;
- Updating and assisting with distribution of NCLR publications;
- Providing research and administrative support to program staff;
- Tracking and mailing program materials; and
- Various administrative tasks, including ordering and stocking office supplies, scheduling and handling miscellaneous items regarding legal staff meetings, and assisting attorneys and other legal staff on an as needed basis.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- Minimum education: Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university;
- Very strong computer skills. Candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Excel. Experience with creating tables of authorities in Microsoft Word strongly preferred; experience with Westlawand Word Perfect a plus;
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Prior experience in an administrative position a plus;
- Bi- or multi-lingual a plus.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Committed to social justice and enthusiastic about NCLR’s mission and programs;
- Well-organized, able to multi-task, a fast learner, and detail-oriented;
- Able to take initiative and to work well under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Flexible and able to function independently and as a member of a team;
- Willing to work flexible hours when necessary; and
- Able to interact well with co-workers, clients, co-counsel, and outside callers.
Wages and Benefits
This is a full time, non-exempt position. Wages and benefits are competitive and include health, dental, and vision coverage; 3 weeks of vacation per year and holidays; eligibility to participate to a 403(b) plan; short-term and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; flexible spending pre-tax plans for qualified health and child daycare expenses; and transportation and parking pre-tax benefits.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. To apply for the position, please email a cover letter and resume to:
National Center for Lesbian Rights
870 Market Street, Suite 370
San Francisco, CA 94102
Fax: (415) 392-8442
No telephone calls please.
The National Center for Lesbian Rights is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, LGBT persons, formerly incarcerated people, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.