Lambda Legal – New York, NY
Lambda Legal’s Youth in Out-of-Home Care Project seeks college students for fall, spring and summer internships.
Lambda Legal is the nation’s oldest and largest legal organization committed to achieving full equality for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and people with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
Lambda Legal’s Youth in Out-of Home Care Project raises awareness and advances reform on behalf of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youth in child welfare, juvenile justice and homeless systems of care. We aim to increase the will and capacity of youth-serving organizations to prepare and support LGBTQ youth as they transition from adolescence to independence. We work with LGBTQ youth as well as social workers, case managers, administrators and other child welfare advocates to ensure safe and affirming child welfare services for LGBTQ youth.
NYC Youth in Out-of-Home Care Undergraduate Intern
- Assist in the creation of contact lists to distribute resources to professionals working throughout the child welfare, juvenile justice and homeless systems of care nationwide.
- Assist in the development and distribution of educational materials for LGBTQ youth.
- Draft educational materials for LGBTQ youth.
- Assist in the development of outreach strategies to disseminate Youth in Out-of-Home Care Project resources. Assist Legal Assistant in other duties, including some administrative tasks outside the Youth in Out-of-Home Care Project, as they arise.
- Interns will assist staff members in combating all areas of sexual orientation and HIV discrimination for youth in out-of-home care. Thus, a background in or familiarity with issues, legal and otherwise, important to LGBTQ youth and youth with HIV will greatly strengthen the application.
- Candidates for the internship should have a strong commitment to social justice, equality and civil rights issues, particularly those involving LGBT and HIV-affected communities. In addition, a desire to learn, strong writing and analytical skills and proficiency in web-based research are a plus. Attention to detail and a strong work ethic are essential.
As this is a volunteer unpaid position, applicants are strongly encouraged to seek out and apply for grants from their school or other sources.
Send your application to email@example.com.
Please review all application instructions before applying to Lambda Legal.