GMFA – London, UK
Are you passionate about improving gay men’s health? Do you have experience in developing and facilitating workshops, training and group events?
Do you enjoy working with volunteers and ensuring that they have the opportunity to develop their skills and confidence in a supportive environment? Do you have the expertise, the will and the drive to make a real difference?
London Workshops and Training Manager
Starting Salary: £30,378 + 5% pension contribution
Initial three year F/T contract. London based.
GMFA is a London-based gay men’s health organisation, whose work includes a strong focus on sexual health and HIV prevention. We are looking for someone to develop and deliver a range of training and workshop events, for volunteers and for members of the public, including sexual health workshops for gay men living in London.
To project manage, devise, develop and deliver training courses, insight groups and workshop events for a range of participants including:
- HERO / GMFA volunteers and potential volunteers
- Representatives of target audiences for HERO / GMFA interventions
- Gay men and other men who have sex with men
To promote and provide administrative support for the workshops, insight groups and training that HERO / GMFA provides.
Workshops, training and groups
- To generate and develop workshop and course ideas.
- To consult with other staff members, Training Group volunteers and partner agencies when choosing, planning and developing workshop interventions.
- To liaise with other HERO staff members and be aware of the work happening elsewhere in the organisation in order to allow this to inform the work carried out by this post.
- To undertake relevant research to contribute to the development of ideas.
- To make budgetary decisions within agreed parameters.
- To maintain and update the Training Group workshop manuals, as required.
- To work with colleagues and volunteers to ensure that workshop content is factually correct and meets the stated aim of the intervention.
- To plan and schedule HERO / GMFA workshops, insight groups and other training events.
- To source, book and maintain relationships with venues for HERO / GMFA workshops, insight groups and training events as required.
- To design, maintain and monitor workshop, insight group and training participant booking processes.
- To ensure that the required resources are available for workshops, insight groups and training events.
- To work with volunteers / other staff members to develop and place promotional and advertising materials for all HERO / GMFA workshops, courses and insight groups.
- To generate, monitor and update evaluation processes for all courses.
- To produce evaluation and outcome reports on programs as required.
- To write and distribute briefing notes on each workshop for partnership agencies and for workers involved in face to face interventions with gay men.
- To present each new workshop and reviewed workshop to the Chief Executive amending as required.
- To sign off relevant invoices.
- To work within the budget of the project.
- To meet deadlines and output targets prescribed by the contract and line manager.
- Compile monitoring information and write end of project reports.
Training Group volunteers
- To recruit and co-ordinate HERO volunteers to deliver or facilitate workshops, training events and focus groups.
- To develop, and sometimes deliver, Facilitation Skills training events for potential HERO course facilitators.
- To train, instruct and support volunteers in developing the relevant skills to deliver or facilitate workshops, training events and focus groups.
- To develop work plans for Training Group volunteers as they complete the Facilitation Skills course.
- To arrange specialised training events for HERO’s Training Group volunteer facilitators as required (e.g. Assertiveness Training; Smoking Cessation training).
- To act as a communications hub for HERO’s Training Group volunteers.
- To provide support to Training Group volunteers facilitating courses.
- To develop and maintain written guidance for volunteers working on workshops, training events and focus groups.
- To advise Training Group volunteers on contractual obligations.
- To develop, and sometimes deliver, inductions for potential HERO volunteers.
- To recruit, co-ordinate and support HERO volunteers to deliver or facilitate volunteer inductions.
Generic responsibilities of all staff
- To work in such a way as to contribute to the fulfilment of HERO / GMFA’s mission.
- To represent HERO / GMFA positively and promote it in your dealings with others.
- To keep abreast of major developments in the areas in which HERO / GMFA works and specifically in areas relevant to this job.
- To identify any training or development needs necessary to maximise your potential within this job.
- To respect the diversity of colleagues and others.
- To support other colleagues as appropriate.
- To work in accordance with HERO policies and procedures.
- To take personal responsibility to maintain a healthy and safe work environment for yourself and others around you.
- To share your knowledge and experience with others.
- To attend and contribute to team meetings.
- Answer the phone.
- Update HERO’s database when appropriate.
- To carry out any reasonable duties requested by the person to whom this post is accountable.
If you are interested in applying, please send 1) the completed application form 2) your CV and 3) the equalities monitoring form, to email@example.com by noon on Monday 14 March.
Your application form should detail how you meet the competencies on the Person Specification.
Interviews will be held during the day on 31 March in Central London.
If you have any questions, please address them to Jobs@gmfa.org.uk.
All the documents you need:
- Job profile
- Application form
- Equalities monitoring form
- Workshops Training Manager person specification
HERO (chiefly trading as GMFA – the gay men’s health charity) is a relatively small voluntary organisation, which needs to be responsive and flexible to changes in the field of its work. This job profile aims to describe the role of the post within this context. It broadly reflects the particular areas of responsibility assigned to the post and states the generic responsibilities of all staff. HERO accepts a job profile will guide the work of the post holder and will need to be reviewed with the post holder as and when appropriate.
HERO’s health promotion activity for gay men and other men who have sex with men, in particular HERO’s work addressing these men’s sexual health needs, is usually delivered under the brand ‘GMFA – the gay men’s health charity’.
GMFA’s vision and mission statement:
Vision – GMFA wants a gay community where individuals are able to make informed choices about their health, and a society that embraces equality and respects the right of people to make informed choices.
Mission – Improving gay men’s health by increasing the control they have over their own lives.